“What camera should I get?”
This is one of the most common questions people ask me, and unfortunately it’s nearly impossible for me to answer because there are so many variables that go into the decision-making process.
Instead of making any recommendations for specific cameras, I’ll share some general things to consider when you’re trying to decide what camera you should get for shooting video.
The categories of cameras I’ll discuss here are:
- Consumer-level camcorders
- Prosumer/professional camcorders
- DSLR cameras (which usually shoot both video and still photos)
- Point-and-shoot (pocket cameras for both video and still photos)
- Smartphone cameras
- Point-of-view (POV) – action cameras, such as GoPro
There are plenty more categories of video cameras out there, of course, but these are the main ones I’ll discuss here.
Personally, I like to start comparing by asking some questions. Here are some good questions to consider as you’re weighing the options: